Thursday, October 14, 2010

Provencal Vegetable Soup

When the temperature dipped and we saw rain for the first time in a long time, my thoughts went to make a good comfortable pot of soup.

My first trip was to the crisper; I came up with carrots, cabbage, leeks, celery, and a bit of spinach.  In the freezer I found peas. In the pantry I found a couple of potatoes, an onion, a can of diced tomatoes, 4 small cans of chicken broth, a pint of green beans.

In a bit of olive oil in the bottom of the soup pot, I sauteed diced onion, thinly sliced leeks, diced  celery, a bit of salt, and some garlic powder until they were soft. I then added the four small cans of chicken broth, the can of diced tomatoes, the peeled and diced potatoes, and the peas. To this I added two big bay leaves and around a teaspoon of herbes de Provence. Then it was time to simmer and simmer. The great thing about soup is the aroma that greets a person at the door and drifts through the house...true comfort.

This is a soup that gets better over the next couple of days as the flavors continue to blend. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment