Monday, March 14, 2011

A Salute to Pi Day (3/14)

Happy Pi Day! 2/14 may have it's special place on the calendar, but 3/14 is pretty much more fun. We have a valid excuse to make pie! For this special day I chose a variety of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I named it a "googleberry" pie in honor of my daily use and enjoyment of Chrome, Picasa, and numerous other programs created and offered by Google.


The "construction" of the pie was simple. I tossed some frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries, and frozen blackberries into a saucepan and set them to cook a bit. I added 1/2 cup sugar and let them cook around 20 minutes (don't let them become mushy). I removed the pan from the heat and added about 1 T. corn starch for thickening. While the berries were cooling, I used a roll-out pie crust and put into the pie pan. I cut a Pi sign on the spare piece of crust and added it as a finishing touch. Bake the pie around 55 minutes at 325 degrees.


Enjoy and Happy Pi Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment