Thursday, April 21, 2011

Friday Night Challenge 9: Savory Basil Calzone

With mushroom and asparagus season underway, this was a great challenge. Joining those ingredients were a strong cast of feta cheese, diced tomatoes (I used Red Gold with basil/oregano), thin crust pizza crust, and artichoke hearts. I decided on a simple calzone.


I split the asparagus lengthwise and sauted them in olive oil along with the tomatoes, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts. Once these were slightly tender, I simply put them with a layer of feta cheese into the crust, folded and pleated it closed and baked in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.


The savory taste combined with the subtle sweetness of the crust and the tanginess of the feta cheese made for a nice all-around flavor. Good job challengers!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I knew with the list that it would end up being fantastic. I'll have to file the idea away for a girls night...A won't touch asparagus. Although if I didn't tell him that's what was in it...

    ReplyDelete