Friday, June 24, 2011

The Friday Night Challenge--Welcome Summer!

Tonight's challenge put me in a tropical/summertime frame of mind with a super-easy main dish. Here are the ingredients:
salmon---cucumber---mango--broccoli--kiwi
On my way to the grocery, it occurred to me that I had some left-over Major Grey's Chutney in the fridge. That was the link that would bring everything together.

Here's the recipe:  Take the salmon and divide into serving sizes (I used frozen and it worked great). I sprayed a heavy piece of aluminum foil with olive oil cooking spray and let the salmon cook on this on the grill for around 10 minutes or just light pink. Don't cook too long or it will dry out quickly...ick.
While the salmon was cooking, I diced up a cucumber (be sure to remove the seeds); cut a mango into tiny slices (yep, used canned and it worked fine--be sure to save the juice from the can); cut the fresh broccoli into tiny bite-sized pieces (this will need to be fresh to hold its texture), and peeled and cut the kiwi into a rough dice.
I took a bit of the Major Grey's chutney and mixed it with the mango syrup (find mangoes in light syrup--it works better) to make a dressing for the dish.
Take the salmon from the grill, assemble all the ingredients on a plate, put some chutney directly on the salmon and let it glaze, and then pour the dressing lightly over everything. 
I added a glass of sav blanc and it was fantastic.

Happy summer with a very light, pretty, and enjoyable Friday Night Challenge.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment