Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturday Night Calzones

As I glanced into the fridge this afternoon, the word "calzones" spoke to me. With some sausage, pepperoni, green pepper, mushrooms, red onion, and mozarella and provolone cheeses sitting about, I decided to combine all those items together. The only thing missing was the dough. I found a nice recipe and it follows:

Take a package of yeast , a cup of warm water (110 degrees), 1 1/2 t. salt, and 1 1/2 T. of olive oil and mix all these together. Let this set for 5 minutes and then add about 1 1/4 c. flour and start combining. To this continue adding another 1 1/4 c. flour. Put this out onto a board and knead for around 7 minutes, adding just enough more flour to keep the dough from being sticky. Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth and let set in a warm spot for about an hour (I found the top of the dryer to work well while drying clothes). After an hour, I divided it into four separate pieces, put it back into the bowl, covered and let it set for 15 minutes. While I was letting the dough rise for the last 15 minutes, I cooked the sausage, then added the peppers, onion, and mushrooms letting them cook to the point of softening in some oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Lastly, I added the pepperoni to warm. When the dough was ready, I made a round of dough  and then added a bit of pizza sauce, the ingredients, a bit of mozarella and provolone. I folded it in half, sealed it off with fork tines.

While all this was going on, I preheated the oven to 500 degrees and put in the baking stone. Once it was sufficiently heated,  I turned the heat down to 475 and baked the calzones, two at a time, for about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment