Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Simple Salad and Soda Bread--the Earthy Basics

Tonight I had a need for simplicity. Sometimes the taste buds just do that. So, after having found a great stash of fresh produce this past weekend, I dropped some eggs into boil and got to slicing and dicing. I never end up with the same ingredients twice in a salad; who does? That's the beauty of it...whatever comes to mind and eye. Tonight's salads included romaine lettuce (I usually get the hearts of romaine--they tend to be much more tender); fresh tomatoes from Mom's garden along with a fresh green bell pepper; a yellow bell pepper; radishes that were very mild and crisp; a bit of onion; some sliced baked turkey; and the boiled eggs.

I added the subtle Irish touch by putting some small cubes of Blarney Castle cheese (a nice mild gouda) in the salad. A couple of slices of warmed soda bread slathered with some Irish butter and we were set.

Simple can be mighty good!



No comments:

Post a Comment