Friday, August 27, 2010

Blackberry/Apple Upside Down Cake

Tom was glancing through a magazine the other night while we were waiting for a Netflix movie to load. When I heard him murmur, "ooooooo," I took a peek at what he found. I must admit, I "ooooo'd" a bit myself. 
The picture showed a pretty upside down cake, but not just ANY upside down cake. This one had no pineapple as we tend to make the ubiquitous fruit of choice; it had apples and blackberries...different and intriguing.
The recipe itself come from Southern Living magazine, the September 2010 issue.  
Here's the list of ingredients and directions...
Let a stick and a half of butter set out and get softened before you start. Once it's soft, then toss the 1/4 c. in the microwave for about 25 sec. and melt to liquid. Pour the liquefied butter into a round cake pan, and then pat in 1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar and 1/4 c. honey. Slice up a couple of apples (I used 1 1/2) and lay them in a circular pattern around the pan. Then add 1 c. blackberries (the ones I used were frozen, so I just dropped them in). 
Next, I put 1 c. sugar and 1/2 c. butter into the mixer and beat it at medium speed. Then I added 2 eggs, then a mixture of 1 c. flour and 1t. baking powder alternately to the mixture along with 1/2 c. milk. Once all this was done, I stirred in 1 t. vanilla. I spooned the batter over the apples and blackberries and put in a 350 degree oven. I started testing after 45 minutes; it took a good hour for the batter to bake.
Once it was out, I let it cool a bit and then turned it upside down onto a plate. It's a pretty cake; add a little whipped topping and you're set.



No comments:

Post a Comment