Sunday, August 22, 2010

Flat Iron Steak Marinade with Irish Whisky

For some time, I had read about flat iron steak, but had never found a piece locally. The last trip to the grocery store yielded one and a pretty one at that. Flat iron is a really versatile type of steak; it can be fixed in variety of ways. I decided this time I would marinade it and then grill it my favorite way---low and slow. I put together a marinade of whiskey, olive oil, garlic powder, soy sauce, pepper, diced onion, parsley, thyme, and rosemary. Then I cut the steak into fourths, split each piece like a filet, and let it marinade for an hour.
While the steaks were marinading, I cut some carrots into slices, added some yellow squash, diced onion, dropped it into some olive oil and butter. A bit of salt and pepper was added. Into the foil packet it went and onto the grill.
While the carrot dish was grilling, I prepared a green leaf lettuce salad and put together a dressing of olive oil, some dijon mustard, a bit of salt, pepper, some capers and caper juice.
The steaks went on the grill for about 10 minutes; I turned them three or four times so they wouldn't burn since they were pretty small.
Once the steaks were finished, I brought them in and let them rest while putting the carrot dish in a skillet and adding some bread crumbs and a bit of butter and putting under the broiler until the crumbs got slightly browned. All done and ready to eat. Easy and not too time-consuming. A good malbec or cab sav would pair right along; however, after a warm trip home from our weekend outing, Tom's classic g&t fit the bill perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment