Sunday, August 29, 2010

Grillled Sage Pork Loin with Sweet Potatoes

We do like a good pig around here. Pork is good on so many levels! It's versatile, dependable, and, as the ads used to say, the other white meat. Nice to have variety when it comes to white meat, I always say (not really).
The other day when I went on my mission trip to the grocery, I found a pretty pork loin. I looked at it over the next few days in the fridge and came up with a plethora of scenarios on how to cook it. Finally today I decided that, after a little research, it would receive a sage rub. Sage isn't our favorite flavor, so I backed off quite a bit on the rub ingredients. These included: 2T. sugar, 1t. salt, 1t. sage, 1t. marjoram, 1/4t. celery seed, 1/4t. dried mustard (I used about 1/2t. sage). I cut the loin into four sections, added the rub, covered, and put into the fridge for about 4 hours.
Once  it was time to start the meal, I sliced up a couple of sweet potatoes, an apple, and an onion with a bit of butter. I wrapped this in foil and placed it on the grill.
Once the potatoes were pretty well done, I sliced the pork into medallions and put them on the grill. Once they reached 170 degrees, they were done.
I paired this with Shiraz; it made for a nice Sunday evening meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment