Friday, August 20, 2010

To the Grill...Low and Slow

After a long day of being in Indy at session, the drive home, the trip to pick up the car, and the return home--all in 95 degree weather--Friday night was telling me it was time to keep it simple...and I am a good listener.
Thank God for grills. We just traded our $88 Charbroil in for an $88 Brinkman model. I'm convinced that grills have little to do with the quality of grilled food. I think as long as you pay attention to the food, a $1K grill and an $88 grill will do the same job. (Thankful for that, too!)
So...I fired up the grill and started some hot Italian sausages low and slow...my favorite way to grill. Once the skins were browned on two sides, I split them lengthwise and put them raw side down on the grill to cook slowly, keeping the flame away with a squirt of the water bottle as needed. Once they were browned and glistening, they were done.
While I was cooking the sausages, I cut an onion and a bell pepper into skinny slices, added some butter and olive oil and a bit of powdered garlic and wrapped them in a foil packet and put them on the grill as well. Usually by the time the sausages are cooked, the peppers and onion will be done. At the last moment, before uncapping the Guiness, I dropped the hoagy buns onto the grill to toast just a bit.
As an accompaniment, I had some little red potatoes that needed to be used, so I grabbed the foil once again, sliced them thinly, sprinkled with some salt, garlic powder, and paprika. I sliced up some more butter (mmmmm) and dropped it on the potatoes, wrapped them up, and on the grill they went.
Take a drink of that Guinness, a bite of that sausage and a forkful of those potatoes and man...that's livin' on a Friday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment