Monday, August 23, 2010

Comfort(able) Food

I decided today was the day I was going to fix a beef shoulder roast and it wouldn't come out looking like a mass of strings. Shoulder roasts and I go way back in the "not quite there" department (somewhat like not yet hitting on the "just right" margarita). So, today I decided to make a comfortable food meal. I'm not so sure it would fit the "comfort food" category, but roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans do indeed make a person feel comfortable.
So, I thawed the shoulder roast, then heated some corn oil and coated the roast (now cut into three separate pieces) in flour with some salt and pepper. I seared it and got the edges brown, then put the pieces into a small roaster with a bit of water and put it in a slow oven at 260 degrees (no method to that madness). I let it slow roast for about an hour, and then when it was time to bake a pie, I turned the over up to 325 and let it go for another hour. I removed it, let it rest for about 10 minutes with the roaster lid off so it wouldn't get a soggy outer edge, and then sliced it. The aroma was good and it wasn't nearly as stringy. Not a perfect cut of meat, but it was tender.
As sides, I fixed mashed potatoes with a bit of cream and butter (yep...cream and butter) and green beans from the garden in a bit of grease from the original meat searing and some onion, salt, and pepper. While the meat was resting, I made some gravy for the potatoes and meat. This was an easy kind with heating up the broth from the roasting meat, some flour, salt, pepper, and kitchen bouquet (the stuff that makes gravy a pretty brown--in small amounts).
The food can always be plated ahead and refrigerated for a later meal...how comfortable is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment